The healthy benefits of Beets:
- High in carbohydrates which means they are a great instant energy source, but unlike processed foods which are high in carbohydrates, beets will energize your body. Beets can be regarded as body fuel.
- Beets contain sodium, magnesium, calcium, iron and phosperous! They are also considered a fiber food and contain vitamins A and C as well as niacin!
- Beets contain folic acid.
- Studies have shown that beets guard against cancer, especially colon cancer.
- Medical studies have also shown that including beets in your diet helps protect a body against heart disease.
Try my yummy beet salad:
- 4 – 6 Beets or 1 can
- 1 orange peeled and chopped
- 1 avocado cubed
- handful of spinach chopped
- feta cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- cilantro is optional
Roast your beets, cool, peel and slice or cube. You can always use can, but fresh is best! Toss in your orange, avocado, spinach, drizzle with oil & vinegar, toss, and top with a handful of feta and cilantro.
You can make this as a side or add some chicken for a great meal!